There’s something really satisfying about creating room wish lists; for me, it lets me see all the items grouped together and lets me know how the colours ,textures and styles work with each other. I remember creating mood boards like this when I was really young- cutting and prit sticking clippings from any home magazine I could get my hands on! It’s nice to know my interest in interior design started young!
Living in a rented house it’s quite difficult to make it seem like your own, and there are so many things I’d love to change about the place we’re in at the moment. Unfortunately, for now, I will just need to make do with what I’ve got and make it work. I’m planning on adding a few additions to our bedroom to help add some interest to the otherwise minimal space. At the moment, the bedroom really only has the bare minimum in it, mainly due to the fact that it is so small it only just fits our ikea malm bed in to the space as well as a chest of drawers. I’m thankful it has a fitted wardrobe!
For me, my bedroom has to have a calming atmosphere to it and I usually pick colours and textures inspired by nature. I have introduced calming blue shades and more brighter colours are introduced in the form of cushions in a textured cotton fabric in various teal and yellow tones. I eventually want to replace these for more subtle colours maybe experimenting with various different textures and materials.
For now though, here are the items I’m currently wishing for.
1. West Elm Letterbox Bedside Table– We currently only have one bedside table from ikea that’s about 10 years old which is on Martins side of the bed. I’m trying to gradually replace my old ikea furniture for pieces that are a bit more long lasting and ones that I won’t feel the need to replace every few years. However, first on my agenda is to get myself a bedside table! This one really stuck out to me as it’s quite small in profile which is perfect for our equally small bedroom and I love the wee cubby hole design in the front for storing books and other bits and bobs in.
2. West Elm Marble Decoupage Box– The story behind this little trinket storage box isn’t any other than the fact that I have a slight obsession with anything marble and I really love the size and shape of this box, perfect for storing all my jewellery which is currently strewn across our chest of drawers.
3. Heal’s Job Copper Table Lamp– I have been looking for a lamp like this for a while and have toyed with the idea of getting various different versions from high street shops however, I really love the warmth of this particular shade of copper lamp found in Heal’s and think this elegant classic piece will look perfect as a beside lamp. It marries both functionality as well as a stunning finish, adding a little bit of elegance to my corner of the bedroom. It is based on the profiles of iconic 20th century lighting designs, and can be simply arched and angled to provide directional or mood lighting.
4. The White Company Colville Throw– Even though it’s getting closer to Spring, where the nights should be getting a bit warmer, I still freeze when it comes to bedtime. I currently have a luxurious grey lambs wool Avoca throw to keep my warm, however, sometimes in the chilly Scottish climate I feel an extra layer is sometimes needed. This classic crisp cotton throw is just what I need! Pristine in its pure cotton form and perfect for adding extra warmth. A beautiful woven throw which uses a technique that imitates hand stitching, it has a gorgeous texture which instantly adds interest and depth to a plain white duvet cover. This collection of bedding is currently in the sale, bonus! I’m going to try and snap this up soon before its gone.
5. Large Ocean Scape Print– This image I actually came across on pinterest and was taken by the talented Adam Ford , and off course it is now pinned to my ‘Nest’ board. The walls in the bedroom are currently bare as i’m sometimes a bit funny about putting things on the walls of rented properties incase something goes wrong. However, our landlord is quite open minded and agreed that we could hang frames on the wall if we wanted. I am still on the hunt for a large ocean print similar to the one above, but have yet to find one I like as much as this one. It might be that I need to wait for a good day and head to the coast to take my own photograph. I’ll keep you posted.
6. H&M Large Glass Vase – One thing I would really like to introduce more of in my house is greenery. Being from the countryside and brought up around rolling fields, woodland and beaches I always feel so much better when i’m surrounded by greenery. So, until I can afford to buy myself that perfect little country cottage I will make do with house plants and flowers. I came across this large vase from H&M and thought it would be perfect for a new plant or even a small succulent or cacti placed inside.